January 29, 2012

Bailando por el mundo = Dancing for the world

This post is about my hobbies, and in the beginning I must say that I absolutely love dancing. Here is a link for the headline.

Photo by anujraj from Flickr CC
Three years ago I went to my first zumba class. In the beginning I wasn't going to go there, but my friend dragged me with her, so there I was. The hall was full of people; there were at least one hundred of us. First I thought that this was crazy. Everybody was dancing and doing weird movements but at the end of the class I was really happy. The class was so much fun, it even didn’t feel like exercising. But it certainly was that. So that’s how I got interested in zumba. And big “thank you” for my friend who dragged me there!;D

Now I have a huge interest in reggaeton and salsa. They both are Latin dances and really popular in South- and Central-America (= Latin-America). Especially in Cuba, people dance a lot, usually salsa. One of my friends from the dance classes was in Cuba for one month, and she said that basically everybody dance in there, but there are only a few people who actually know how to dance. And they are very good. But still, the “dance spirit” is really good in Cuba, so everybody does that.

Photo by Jan Zalud (योहन) from Flickr CC  
Shoulders, hips and stomach are used a lot in reggaeton, it’s quite a masculine dance, similar to hip hop. I started it in the fall, and I completely fell in love with it. Spanish music in the background and like all the dances, you have to think what you are doing, otherwise you will mess up the choreography and the steps. I think it’s relaxing because you have to think “in the dance way”, all the stress and worries disappear from your mind, at least for a moment.

Salsa is also really popular; I think it is known all over the world. The basic step in salsa is quite easy, but when you have to add the spins and other more difficult movements to the choreography, you need to concentrate. But I think it’s still not difficult, you just need to practice. And when you have danced more you don’t need to count anymore, you can hear everything from the music. It’s wonderful when you can see that you have developed. Salsa is usually categorized in three levels in dance schools. I’m really proud of myself, I jumped straight to the second course in salsa, I skipped the first one, I was already familiar with the basic steps, because of zumba.

I have never tried salsa with a couple but maybe some day I'll...
Photo by dekay from Flickr CC

I think I’m going to keep on dancing at least couple years, right now I can’t even think of quitting. I feel like it’s a kind of a “lifestyle” for me.

Anna V.               

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to hear some details about these popular Latino dances that most of us have at least heard of. I'm sure you will have many opportunities to do more of them while in Spain, maybe learn some new dances, too. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete