April 17, 2012

You Are What You Know

I believe knowledge has three sides. First one is the part that you think you’re. You can consider yourself as a quite social person who likes sports for example. Or you can think you’re a bit quieter than the others but you dress to kill. This is how you see yourself from your own aspect. But are we the ones who know ourselves the best?

Then it’s the part that your family and friends see. You might think yourself as a shy person, but at home or with the people that you know well - and they know you also - you might act like a totally different person, you can change from a shy person to a really social one.

Then it’s the part in you what nobody knows, not even you. You might think you’re bad at sports but when you actually try some, you might find yourself really talented. And then you ask for yourself: “Why haven’t I ever tried this before?” But of course everything needs practice.

Photo by the Italian voice 

“El pensamiento es como un churro.”  That is one thing I have learned in Spanish philosophy classes. “Knowledge is like a churro.” I know that sounds funny but it’s an allegory. Well, imagine the situation; you are making churros. You have all the ingredients in front of you, but without the knowledge to know how to mix all the ingredients and really make a churro, it’s impossible. Or you might have the information – the recipe – in front of you, but without the knowledge to read it, you just can’t cook anything.

Churros and chocolate, typical Spanish breakfast;)
Photo by Sami Keinänen 

“Cada vez que me miro, soy otro.” “Every time when I look at myself, I’m somebody else.” I think that one means that maybe you have an aspect about yourself; you think you know what kind of a person you are, but then when you look in the mirror you notice you’ve changed…a lot. Then you start wondering how this all happened. I think the answer is the environment and the people around you. But I guess mostly it’s you.

1 comment:

  1. How nice to read that your new environment is already giving you new ideas about many things! Travelling, and especially staying in a foreign place for a longer time, certainly widens your horizons, doesn't it?
    It is so true that we keep "adding" to our personality all through our lives. I really like the Spanish proverb "Cada vez que me miro, soy otro."

    ReplyDelete